Fort Harker: Defending the Journey West
Quantity in Basket:
Shipping Weight: 0.44 pounds
By Leo E. Oliva |
Fort Harker, established as Fort Ellsworth in August 1864 on the north side of the Smoky Hill River at the juncture of the Fort Riley-Fort Larned Road and the Smoky Hill Trail, was founded to counter Indian resistance in the region and help forward supplies to miltary posts farther west. It also served as command headquarters for the District of the Upper Arkansas.
Volume 7 in the Kansas Forts Series, listed below. This series, published by the Kansas State Historical Society, documents the history of eight important Kansas forts. Each book features a variety of historic photographs, illustrations, and maps.
104 pages, 6 x 9 inches, softcover
|114||Fort Hays: Keeping Peace on the Plains||$8.95|
|115||Fort Larned: Guardian of the Santa Fe Trail||$8.95|
|116||Fort Scott: Courage and Conflict on the Border||$8.95|
|233||Kansas Frontier Forts map||$2.50|
|323||Fort Larned: National Historic Site||$3.95|
|326||Fort Wallace: Sentinel on the Smoky Hill Trail||$8.95|
|327||Fort Dodge: Sentry of the Western Plains||$8.95|
|329||Fort Leavenworth: Gateway to the West||$8.95|
|330||Fort Riley: Citadel of the Frontier West||$8.95|